Terms of Agreement
Terms of Agreement
The applicant (hereafter “participant”) and the parent or legal guardian (hereafter “parent”) of a minor participant (those under 18 yrs. of age) must read and sign this Deer Hill Expeditions, Inc. (“DHE”) Terms of Agreement (hereafter sometimes “Terms”), below. In consideration of the services of DHE, I (participant and parent of a minor participant) agree as follows:
1. APPLICATION PROCEDURE AND SELECTION: After submitting a DHE application, I agree to submit a $750 deposit to DHE on the telephone by Visa or Mastercard, or by a check payable to: Deer Hill Expeditions, PO Box 180, Mancos, CO 81328. I understand that $150 of this deposit is a non-refundable application processing fee. When DHE has received my Application, including; signed Terms of Agreement, signed Essential Eligibility Criteria, $750.00 deposit and completed Welcome Questionnaire, DHE will then review it. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications are processed in the order in which they are received. I understand that participant’s application will not be considered complete until DHE receives all of the required documents and my $750 deposit.
Please note: After DHE has contacted participant’s references; we will send, via email, a Program Information Packet (PIP) containing information and forms, including a DHE Acknowledgement and Assumption of Risk & Release and Indemnity Agreement, and Participant Health History Form. Supplemental medical forms, if applicable, may also be separately sent. These forms contain important information associated with participant’s DHE experience, the risks associated with the activities, and participant and parent’s responsibilities. Please read and complete these forms carefully. All forms must be completed and signed by participant, parent, and pertinent others (e.g. physician, references). Participant’s final acceptance, enrollment and participation in the program is contingent on Deer Hill’s receipt and review of the application and all required forms.
2. FINAL PAYMENT: In April, DHE will send an invoice for final payment, due May 1. Final payment to DHE includes program tuition as identified on our website for the program you have selected, plus a refundable $300 deposit for Outfitting Store Account (domestic trips only). The Store Account is for the rental and/or purchase of personal gear and clothing from the DHE Outfitting Store. Final billing for Costa Rica Exploradores includes a non-refundable $150 Contingency Account that is explained in the Program Information Packet.
3. PARTICIPANT CANCELLATION AND RETURN:
- Cancellation: The $750 deposit includes a non-refundable $150 administrative processing fee. $600 will be refunded if the participant is not accepted. Otherwise, all tuition payment refunds will be made based on the number of days following the date of your paid deposit. All cancellations must be submitted to the Deer Hill office in writing. Refunds will be made as follows:
- 100% refund up to 30 days after the deposit is paid;
- 50% refund up to 45 days after the date that the deposit is paid;
- No refunds 45 days after the date the deposit is paid;
- For applications received after April 15: Full payment is due and no refunds are given 15 days after May 1.
- Late or Non-Arrival or Early Departure: If participant doesn’t attend, arrives late or is dismissed or departs early from a program, for any reason other than DHE’s cancellation of the program, no refunds will be granted.
- COSTS: Adult participant (and the parent of a minor) is responsible for paying all costs of late or non-arrival, or early departure whether for medical reasons, dismissal, personal emergencies or otherwise. These costs include but are not limited to those for medical evacuation or treatment, travel and compensation and expenses for staff who may accompany participant.
Our refund policy is based upon the seasonal nature of our business. The investment of time and money required to hire staff and to purchase food, equipment and federal land agency permits, necessitates that your payments be made in advance of the summer program. DHE cannot alter agreements and arrangements made with its suppliers, government agencies and employees to accommodate a participant’s withdrawal from a program.
4. DHE PROGRAM CANCELLATION OR ALTERATION:
- DHE reserves the right to cancel a program, or to change any aspect of a program including dates, location, itinerary or duration either before or during a program because of weather, enrollment, health hazards or for any other reason that DHE determines, in its discretion, is appropriate. .
IF DHE cancels a program before it begins, and a participant chooses not to undertake an alternate program, all payments will be fully refunded. If DHE cancels a program after its start date, DHE will refund the unused portion of the tuition. In either case, refunds will be less the $150 processing fee. However, DHE will only refund the actual fees paid, and is not responsible for any costs incurred by the participant or parent in relation to a program that has been cancelled.
5. EQUIPMENT LOSS OR DAMAGE: Participant (and parent of a minor) is fully responsible for lost, stolen or damaged DHE equipment (DHE accepts normal wear and tear), and agrees to pay for any damage or loss. This may include sharing in the group’s collective responsibility for willful equipment/property destruction or loss. DHE is not responsible for a participant’s lost, stolen or damaged personal belongings whether incurred during travel or while on program.
6. PHOTO STATEMENT/AUTHORIZATION: Unless we receive your objection in writing before the start of the program, the adult participant or parent of a minor authorizes DHE or parties designated by DHE, to take photos or other images, audio or video recordings, and/or written or spoken statements (including quotations from correspondence) of or including the participant and his or her family, without compensation, and use these materials, including for sale, reproduction or display on the internet or via other media, in DHE catalogues or other materials, or for any promotional, educational or other use. These materials are the sole property of DHE.
7. NON-DISCRIMINATION: DHE does not discriminate in its respective employment or admissions policies on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, national or ethnic origin, age or disability. However, we do reserve the right to refuse admission to our programs in appropriate cases, including cases where health or medical conditions may preclude participation.
8. FOR ALL PARTICIPANTS: I understand that Deer Hill is a group experience and that my full participation and cooperation with a positive attitude, in all activities, is important for the overall success of the program. I understand that Deer Hill activities take place in the wilderness and in other areas where group’s well-being can be jeopardized if I do not pay attention, respect my leader and participate responsibly in the program. I agree to be respectful and non-confrontational with DHE staff and fellow participants. I agree not to use or distribute tobacco, alcohol or illegal drugs, or to mis-use or distribute prescription or non-prescription drugs. I agree not to engage in exclusive relationships or sexual activity. I agree to be a contributing member of the group to the best of my abilities. I agree to respect my program’s leaders and follow program rules and policies. I will do my best to keep a positive attitude and to make this the best experience possible for me, all other participants and my leaders.
9. EXPECTATIONS AND RIGHT TO SEPARATE: I understand that for the health and welfare of all members of a DHE program, participants are expected to behave appropriately throughout their stay on the program (in line with the behaviors discussed above), and that all participants share in the responsibility for their own well-being and the well-being of the group. DHE reserves the right to dismiss any participant from the program, whom DHE staff believes, in their sole discretion, presents a safety concern or medical risk, is disruptive, or otherwise conducts him/herself in a manner detrimental to the program.
10. ESSENTIAL ELEGIBILITY CRITERIA: I have read, understand and agree to DHE’s Essential Eligibility Criteria[CH1] , (incorporated here by this reference) and will contact DHE if I have any questions.
FOR ALL PARTICIPANTS AND PARENTS:
I (participant and parent of a minor participant) agree: I have accurately completed the Application and have read, understand and agree to the Terms of Agreement outlined above. I have disclosed pertinent information regarding my/my child’s medical or health condition/s, per Question #2 in the DHE Application. I agree that failure to disclose requested medical information at the time of application and/or in subsequent requests for medical information may result in participant’s exclusion or dismissal from the program and forfeiture of monies previously paid to DHE. I agree to review all program materials sent, respond accurately to DHE inquiries, complete all required forms (and abide by the terms of those documents). This includes accurately completing the medical forms sent and accurately informing DHE about participant’s medical or health condition/s or medication/s, and any changes, from the date of this Agreement up until the beginning of (or during) participant’s program. Parent gives his/her son/daughter permission to participate in all DHE program activities, at or away from Basecamp. I agree that Colorado law (without regard to its “conflict of laws” rules) governs this Agreement, any dispute I have with DHE and all other aspects of my/my child’s relationship with DHE, and agree that any mediation, suit or other proceeding must be filed, or entered into, only in the Montezuma County, Colorado. I agree to attempt to settle any dispute (that cannot be settled by discussion) through mediation before a mutually acceptable Colorado mediator.
I understand I must complete the information in the online signing process to electronically accept and sign the Deer Hill Expeditions, Inc.: Terms of Agreement outlined above, or, print out and sign a paper version. For adult participant or the parent of a minor: I understand that whether I choose to electronically accept and sign, or sign a paper version of the Deer Hill Expeditions, Inc.: Terms of Agreement, I am entering into a legally binding contract with DHE. Minor participants are also asked to sign, to reflect their understanding of these Terms.